Jun 12, 2007

A good southern girl mops her chicken.


Any girl who was raised in the south should know how to BBQ chicken. She knows that is has to be done low and slow and that it needs to be mopped.

Mopping chicken consist of slathering on a sauce as it cooks. This should be done about every 10 to 15 minutes. It is done using a BBQ mop and a mopping sauce.

Mopping sauce is as different as each family. Each one has their own recipe and most likely not willing to share it.

I use a few basic ingredients but they are very much interchangeable. You could use lime or lemon juice instead of vinegar, olive oil instead of butter, or etc. Play around until you find the flavor that you like.

1/2 chopped onion
1/2 c water
1/2 c vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
big spoon of butter or a little oil.
chopped garlic
salt
pepper

( These are approximate.I do not measure any of this stuff. I just go on taste.)

Mix everything thing and simmer for 5 minutes. Put your chicken on a grill and mop with this mixture and turn the chicken every 10 - 15 minutes. Cook it low and slow and it will be fall apart tender.

5 comments:

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

I'm a Yankee and therefore have never BBQd before. But that mopping sauce sounds good so I think I might give it a try. :)

Rebecca said...

Mmmm.......that chicken looks so good. You sure don't use that 'mopping' term loosely do you? I was expecting to see some sort of paintbrush applicator, but that's a bonifide mop alright.

Anonymous said...

Well, I moved to NC from CA when I was 11, but never learned to BBQ chicken...looks yummy though!

mAsOn & tErrI's mOm said...

I hear ya! YUMMY!!!!

Anonymous said...

chicken looks good and looks definitely trying. wonderful