May 10, 2009

Make a Mirepoix

Start with finely chopped veggies.



Saute in butter on med heat until tender.



Keep covered in the fridge and use throughout the week in your recipes.



I was raised deep in the south where they start most dishes with the Holy Trinity. This week I wanted to try something new. I found something called Mirepoix.

Mirepoix (pronounced /mɪər ˈpwɑː/) is the name for a combination of onions, carrots, and celery. Mirepoix, either raw, roasted or sauteed with butter, is the flavor base for a wide number of dishes, such as stocks, soups, stews and sauces. Traditionally, the ratio for mirepoix is 2:1:1 of onions, celery, and carrots. I used equal amounts of all and added in some bell pepper.


Tonight I used it in Chicken Noodle Casserole and tomorrow I plan to use it in Stuffed Bell Peppers.

No comments: